Ocean Springs, originally referred to as Vieux Biloxy, served as the first capital of French Louisiana and became known as “Ocean Springs” in 1854. The name was coined by a New Orleans physician who believed the local springs had medicinal qualities.
Founded in 1699
Commissioned by his Royal Majesty King Louis XIV of France, explorer Pierre LeMoyne, Sieur D’Iberville, sailed into Biloxi Bay in April of 1699. Monsieur d’Iberville and his expedition party explored the shores of the upper Gulf of Mexico and located Ship Island before identifying a high, defensible bluff. On that site, D’Iberville’s party founded Fort Maurepas, the first capital of the Louisiana Colony, and named the spot Biloxey. Today this is known as Ocean Springs, Mississippi.